10 Step Guide to Healthy Gums
25th July 2019
Back to blog
- Brush your teeth twice a day (first thing in the morning and last thing at night) using an electric toothbrush, for at least 2 minutes each time.
- Cleaning in between your teeth at least once a day using interdental brushes or floss.
- Use of other adjuncts like a tongue scraper or mouthwash may be helpful.
- Don’t ignore any initial signs of gum disease such as bleeding gums and bad breath.
- Find out if anyone in your family such as siblings suffer from gum/periodontal disease and be extra vigilant if they do as it can run in families.
- Go for regular gum screens with your dentist/hygienist so if gum disease does develop it can be picked up early.
- Have regular (3-6 monthly) professional cleaning with your hygienist.
- Ensure you’ve had a general health screen as conditions such as diabetes can have a significant influence on the health of the gums.
- Eat well to include a balanced diet of fruit and vegetables.
- Don’t embark on any other complicated treatment e.g. braces or dental implants, until your gums are healthy.